Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Faith takes a Vision


Faith takes a vision
Makes a dream into a mission
When he calls you, don't refuse
'Cause it's faith and it's vision
he can use.


This morning, I read Psalm 138. Verse 2 reads, "I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word."
Here I read that God has exalted his name and his word above everything. As a result, the Psalmist will bow to God, and praise God for his love and faithfulness.
God keeps his word, and he has told me that he loves me and will be faithful to me, even when I am unfaithful.
No matter what happens in my life's events, and no matter what flaws there are in my performance, God will still love me and his word will keep him honoring his promises.
The world has so many dreams and passions that contend for my attention. I am fascinated by the drive for success and for stardom that entertainment personalities have. I know that part of this fascination is my own occupation in music and performance, that gave me a certain level of public reputation. And yet God's word and his name are above everything that interests or appeals to me, by his own act.
God's name is many faceted and filled with vast implications for power, creativity, and sovereign choice. His word started in the garden with a declaration of love for his creation, and also a warning of its limitations. His word continued to ring out with truth and justice, as well as covenantal faithfulness, throughout biblical history and beyond.
His word says that we must have faith in order to please him, and we must diligently seek his face and his will.
I have found my own grasp of his word to be foggy lately. We see through a glass darkly, yes, but I also lack the persistent seeking of his word in my daily life that results in weak faith and poor vision.
Even though I have a deep and abiding knowledge of God's written word, it is still possible to lose a clear vision of his word for today, for right now. One may even do the right things, but lack the faith behind these good acts. It is dangerous ground to have a whole life style of good works, and lack faith and spiritual sight.
Would I hear his call, if he did speak?






No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a person who is perceived as youthful, although I am in my late 50s. I play and sing music, and it tends to keep me in the culture, like a lot of young people do. I am a "high I" on the DISC Behavioral Test, which means I'm optimistic, enthusiastic, a team player, and I motivate others toward goals. I don't like exercise, but I have a high metabolism, so I don't tend to be overweight at this time in my life! I have recently been doing moderate exercise and physical therapy for a shoulder condition.