My church, my employer, has offered me a 3 month sabbatical. Since I have worked there 7 years, they figured I needed the time off. It is a great relief not to have to worry about schedules, people, and songs for 14 more weeks!
Unfortunately, I have been having some pain in my hands, legs, and shoulders that has precipitated some medical necessities this fall during the first several weeks of my leave. Although I would rather not have to do this during these precious days, it's better than having the weight of the job plus the recovery from frozen shoulder manipulation.
But enough of that. Here's ten cool things I haved done during this first full week.
1. I called an asphalt company to patch our driveway. No conclusions yet, but, hey, I had room in my mind.
2. I went to Greyfriars' coffee, sat down, and drank a coffee out of a real cup while reading a novel and listening to Bach's Violin Concerti.
3. I went to a movie on Thursday night with Beth. Julie and Julia.
4. I read the first chapter of D.A. Carson's Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church. I even highlighted some.
5. I purchased Rock with You by Rod Tempterton at Musicnotes, and created a new 2 page chart that is perfect for weddings.
6. I got an MRI on my neck. This is cool, only because it is part of treating my maladies. Otherwise, it was claustrophobic.
7. I played a wedding and the reception for Hannah DeMoss and Merrell Johnson. This was a test, since Merrell's family is black, and a lot of the music was soul music.
8. I walked every morning with Beth.
9. I sat on the deck and had lunch with Beth.
10. I went to Belk and bought two pairs of cargo shorts.
I hope to blog more during these months, so get ready for more cool things!